Monday, January 3, 2011

Spiders while cruising the great ocean road

We are now in Melbourne and staying at the clarion suites gateway! It's a nice hotel with a good location. The rooms are even nicer than the lobby which usually isn't the case. Its a nice change after our Apollo bay accommodation which I will get to. Holiday inn darling harbor in sydney was great too but not for the price we paid!!

Great ocean road is a scenic drive along the coast where you can stop in smaller cities or surf towns along the way. My favorite of the towns we visited was Lorne. Torquay and Apollo bay were cute too but the best accommodations are probably in lorne too. We stayed at a seemingly cute b & b in Apollo bay called hawley reef views b&b that was recommended in the lonely planet. Everything was fine until we got home from dinner to find a bunch of spiders in the room! Most were daddy long legs but there was one scary guy crawling along the wall near our bed! I screamed and got bug spray from the owner and we sprayed every corner of the room. We literally killed 7 or 8 spiders and had to trap the big guy under a cup to make sure he couldn't go anywhere. This experience reminded me of Thailand and in Venice battling cockroaches in cheap accommodations although Adam or Sophia and Meena did the exterminating so i was lucky. The problem here is that we paid more for the b & b than most of our hotels in the coming weeks including staying at the Marriott! In it's defense, I think the problem was the immaculate rose garden at the front of the house attracting all the bugs and it being on the ground floor - lesson learned!

Driving on the other side of the road has been an interesting experience! The highway was fine but downtown Melbourne driving is another story - lots of yelling at Adam unintentionally and last minute turn instructions when we figure out where we're going! The funniest is when Adam accidentally turns the wipers on when he's trying to indicate to turn!

Looking forward to seeing the cute penguins at the penguin parade tmr evening!

3 comments:

Meena said...

The Great Ocean Road was beautiful and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I also loved Lorne! Can't wait to hear about Phillip Island :)

Your blog reminded me of the monstrosity of the mutant bug when Sophia and I were in Mykonos!! Man i need to find that video and show you! It was a dire circumstance - we were in the middle of nowhere and sophia had to go find help while I watched the bug with my shoe in hand! She found a Canadian who proceeded to slam MY SHOE on the bug on top of the bed! EW!! Ok have fun!! Don't go north - floods! xox
Meena

Nadia said...

Hello Sis and Bro in Law!! Sounds like you guys are having fun in the sun. Nasim aunty was having fun reading and said to tell you about some 555, free bus or shuttle to go into the city centre?? Im soo jealous of the sashimi!! damm!! Ironically, in Asia, i didnt find sushi all that easy or cheap...! And here I thought that our 7 course dinner for nye in Beijing was expensive for $85/pp, sounds like a steal of deal compared to where you are. And Spiders, wowah! Lets say, better you than me! I wouldve died. Just got back to Ottawa last night and started my frech course today! To be a student again, feels weird. But more excitingly, we move into our condo tommorow. Let me know where you are and I will call you soon!! Miss you! Love Nadia

Alnaar Harnish said...

OMG OMG!!!! I would have had a heart attack over the spiders!! You guys have to be careful. There are poisonous spiders all over Australia!

Alnaar