Thursday, January 6, 2011

Under the sea


We are now in port Douglas, a super cute resort town for locals 1 hrs drive from cairns. It isn't even listed in the lonely planet travel book but I'd read it was a locals honeymoon spot and alysha recommended going there after her Aussie trip. Thank you alysha and meena for all your travel advice! Lord know we don't need the space but got upgraded from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom villa at the rendezvous port Douglas resort. Staff are super friendly and the hotel restaurant has really good food! I'd highly recommend for people to visit here when they come to oz! It's nice and relaxing after the last few hectic days! Bistro 3 was also a really good restaurant there as well on the main street.

We went on our diving/snorkeling great barrier reef trip yesterday. Because of his asthma, Adam couldn't go diving. We used the company Reef experience which was a midrange company but overall very good and good value. Diving was a scary experience initially! I panicked twice and came back to the surface to catch my breath and the instructor had to work with me a few extra minutes to make sure I could put my mouth piece back into my mouth if I lost it under the water. It was a great experience and a nice introduction but I think I'd prefer to get certified before trying it again. Anyone wanna get certified with me?! Adam won't ever be able to go but I think he's secreted happy bc he has an excuse not to go! Lol. The fishes under the water are so cool - especially the colorful parrot fish! It's so interesting to watch the world under there!

The weather is tropical now that we are in the queensland state of Oz but with warm weather brings lots of bugs! The temperature is low 30s but even higher with humidity! Australia is the skin cancer of the world bc the uv rays are intense here! Hopefully Adam will make it through the trip okay!

We are off to Townsville to meet up with Omar and Melissa and then to whitsundays islands for a sailing trip!

3 comments:

Meena said...

I'll get certified with you!! Next trip??

Nadia said...

sounds like fun..lol, I think Adam was Def secretly happy he has asthma right now...but bicharo, hope your slathering sun screen, the sun there sounds evil. Enjoy. Its snowing and i officially HATE moving! lol

Lysh said...

once you guys are certified..I will go diving with you!!!
Glad you loved Port Douglas! Cant wait to hear about Whitsundays